Here are the resources for our “Learning Through Virtual Reality Experiences” workshop at SXSWedu session.
Virtual Reality Workshop Description
This workshop explores the impact of virtual reality on education. Participants will have hands-on experiences with VR devices to analyze how this immersive Wearable Technology reshapes the teaching-learning environment and institutional culture. New forms of experiential learning will draw upon visually rich virtual and augmented reality experiences. VR is raising fundamental questions about the shape of future media, narrative and storytelling. Technology is rapidly moving from information access to personal experience, where deeply compelling learning resources are immediately available before our eyes, requiring profound innovation in pedagogy and learning space design and institutional culture.
VR Videos and Experiences for SXSWedu
We will work with the following virtual reality resources. All require a mobile app to be installed on your Smartphone. In selecting one of the following VR videos, if you do not have the appropriate app (in red font), please download it from Apple or the Google Play store first.
When you experience the VR video you selected, notice the following elements: the sense of presence (your subjective experience), the sense of immersion (the realism of the VR video) and the strength of the point of view.
- Inside Syria
- Inside North Korea
- Clouds Over Sidra
- Song for Someone (U2 VR music video)
- Vigils in Paris (the aftermath of the Paris attacks)
- The Contenders (on the presidential campaign)
- Act in Paris (on environmental change)
- The Nepal Quake Project
- Magi Chapel Frescos by Benozzo Gozzoli in Florence, Italy
- Ivan Fisher’s Budapest Festival Orchestra
- Tour of the Mind (game)
Here are Direct Links to the VR Apps
Here are some of the mobile apps we will use in the VR lab.
|Virtual Reality Apps||iOS||Android|
|JauntVR || Jaunt VR|
| EON Reality ||EON Reality|| EON Reality|
| InMind VR ||InMindVR||InMindVR|
| WeShareVR ||WeShareVR||WeShareVR|
Questions on Virtual Reality and Learning – Group Work
Questions cards are provided for each group. Each table is a group. Please select Question #1 or #2 to discuss as a group. All groups should answer question #3 on the card.
If we have a large number of participants, reports will be done through a Google Survey and results will be shared on the site during and after the session. Please enter your comments in the filed for your group (table number): http://goo.gl/forms/8lz5LKfUTf
- Understand the rapid developments in Virtual Reality and the impact on Education
- How Virtual Reality devices will disrupt cultural and educational spaces and challenge our understanding of privacy and data analytics
- Explore how virtual, visual, and sensory experiences can transform learning and inspire new modes of creative expression and visual literacy